[Coco] Infocom text adventures

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Apr 28 03:01:15 EDT 2014

Nick, you're right, the Infocom games run under RSDOS but boot with the dos command.
I imagine since they are ML, they probably write text directly to the text screen area and avoid RSDOS rom overhead (I would), so converting them to an 80 col Coco 3 screen would be no easy task. You would need the sources (or good disassemblies) and knowledge of how to write to an 80 col HW screen in ML.
If ya wanna try... The DOS cmd loads track 34 (all 18 sectors) starting at $2600, then executes: equivelent to "EXEC&H2600". What's at $2600 is most likely a "loader" that loads the game from the disk and jumps to it's start address. It the same way OS9 starts.

If they were in OS9, it would be a trival task to make them 80 col :-)

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com