[Coco] coco colors

Robert Hermanek rhermanek at centurytel.net
Thu Apr 24 13:48:41 EDT 2014

Someone brought up coco3 colors lately, and it got me thinking about a
few inconsistencies I've seen.  First, my understanding of the RGB and
CMP commands are simply to load different color values into the 16
palette registers, meaning I assume, that a particular color code X
(between 0 and 63) will render a different color if viewed on a CMP vs.
RGB monitor... but then I got to thinking of 1) what is a reference of
all the colors, and 2) do we define/name colors based on RGB or CMP
monitors?

I loaded up the Kiel emulator, wrote a quick program to show me all of
the colors (16 at a time), did screenshots, combined all the colors in
photoshop, numbered them, and came up with the graphic that is attached
to this message.  So... are the emulator colors correct?  Are they RGB
monitor colors as I expected them to be?  The reason I ask is that if I
take a coco3 connected to vga monitor via Roy Justus's converter, I do
not get the exact same colors, and things get pretty confusing after a
while.

Anyway, that's the long story.  Short story is -- I made this color
chart, I'm curious if it matches other people's coco3's or not in any way...

-RobertH