[Coco] help

Greg Law glaw at live.com
Tue Apr 22 22:10:41 EDT 2014

Richard E Crislip wrote:

> Louis Ciotti <lciotti at me.com> wrote:
>
> > While RR does provide an e-mail service, it is only POP3, and anyone
> > who has use a POP3 account across multiple devices knows it does not
> > work well.  Keeping everything synced between a smartphone, a
> > desktop, a laptop, and a tablet with POP3 is impossible.
> > <snip>
>
> Weellll not so sure. Yes it is called POP3, but my RR account allows me
> to save the mail on the server. That leads me to believe that even
> though RR calls it POP3, it is really IMAP under the hood. Of course I
> could be wrong because I drawing this conclusion based on experience,
> not true investigation.

This is a standard POP3 option.

Normally an email client will get the list of messages with something like
LIST, retrieve each message RETR, and finally delete the message with DELE.

If your email client and server support it, it can change the exchange to
use UIDL instead of LIST to get a unique identifier for each message so the
client can track which messages it has already received and skip the DELE
for each message. The client may also be configured to delete messages from
the server after a certain time (say 30 days).