[Coco] [Color Computer] Vcc OS-9 keyboard mapping

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Apr 19 00:21:50 EDT 2014

Jerry,
If you are using disks from the repo... well I can't think of a way ANY OS9 disk could contain /term and /w5 as the same window. They are two different descriptors for two different windows. I have been using disks from the repo for 10 or 12 years and have never seen that happen. The would have to be internally named to the same window number but with different "name" descriptions. I would think you would get an error if one was open and you tried to open another if they are the same window, but not really sure.

You can always use "wmode" (like dmode but for windows) to check and see what they are all set for. I know it's in the RTSI OS9 downloads. We need to put it in the CMDS in the repo disks (along with a few other "standard" 3rdparty cmds).
The first thing I do when I start creating boots is to set all my /Wx descriptors to HW 80 col text. I use Black on white for Term and color x on black for all the rest using a different color for each window so I always know which window I'm in and I always know when I've cycled back to Term.
I know of no software :commercial" that "relies" on the default OS9 window setting for their window modes. Most software I've seen sets it's own windows up anyway. I have no need for all those "odd" windows that are the defaults.
Even in my own software projects, I create all my own windows and ignore any "defaults" as I have to assume that no two people will have the same defaults.

And yes, if I remember correctly, the default colors for Term was Black on Green 80 col. Just as the repo disks are.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com