[Coco] Having fun with hacking HDB-DOS

Juan Castro jccyc1965 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 09:20:28 EDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Kip Koon <computerdoc at sc.rr.com> wrote:
> Hi Juan!
> I just tried WIDTH 51 and WIDTH 64!  They are great!  I love it!  Now I can
> see better when I list Basic programs on my Coco 1.  This will definitely
> become my new Coco 1 HDB-DOS Drivewire Eprom image.  I have it running in a
> Glenside IDE controller.  When will the triple driver version as in IDE,
> Hard drive, Drivewire for the 16KB HDBDW3CC2 eprom image be released?

I will have to do some very non-trivial coding in order to implement
my idea of per-drive method selection. I intend to begin with
something easier -- you select IDE for everything and it behaves just
like normal IDE HDB-DOS for all drives, then you select DriveWire and
it's DriveWire for everybody etc.

What I lack to make it progress faster isn't time or resources -- it's
stamina. Gaaaaa.

(Although having a very satisfied user is surely stimulating!)

> I remember you mentioned something about that but I don't remember exactly
> what you said.  By the way, what version number HDB-DOS was this based on
> and will you be upgrading each new version of HDB-DOS as they come out?

I'm maintaining it as a patch to the Mercurial repository, i.e. the
very very bleeding edge HDB-DOS code, bugs and all.

> Thanks for an excellent upgrade to HDB-DOS.

Thank you for testing. Hey, did you try the BUTTON() function with a
joystick? It should work as the CoCo 3 version, but only for the first
button of course.

Juan