[Coco] DriveWire 4, VCC, VHD

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Apr 17 00:49:21 EDT 2014

John,
First is HDBDOS installed in the "Cartridge/FD-502 Config" menu? You must check "External Rom Image" and then browse to your HDBDOS ("hbdw3bc3.rom") image.

Second, the MPI switch in "Cartridge/MPI Config" must be set to MPI slot 4. The "fd502.dll" must be loaded in that slot.

And third... Yes, if you are using a "dual partition" RSDOS/NitrOS9 VHD, then you need to have offsets. If you are using a single partition VHD then no, and offset is not needed. he normal offsets are:

POKE&HD938,5:POKE&HD939,&HA0:POKE&HD93A,0

This is for "standard" VHDs that were originally for the emulaors. There are some floating around with "odd" offsets, but I can't help you with those.
You can also use a hex-editor in windows and alter the rom file with the offsets permanently.

Fourth, I don't know where the VHD came from or it's contents so I can't tell you much about how to use it.

Fifth, make sure that in "Configuration/Config/BitBanger" you have "Enable Becker Port" checked, and that the "Port address" is 127.0.0.1 and the "TCP Port" is 65504 and that DW4 is configured for TCP with the same setting in the "Config Wizard" (all defaults for the TCP settings).

I have a tutorial on setting up Vcc 1.4.3b and DriveWire4 at Cocopedia, it should help some. It doesn't get into installing NitrOS9 (yet), but explains the basics.

DriveWire4:
http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/DW4_Installation_Guide

Vcc 1.4.3b & DW4:
http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/VCC_1.4.3b_and_DW4_Installation_Guide

I will also soon be releasing several "VCC 1.4.3b Coco 3 & DW4 Starter Kits",  several "XRoar Coco 2,  2b & DW4 Starter Kits" as well as starter kits for the real Cocos 1, 2, 2b, & 3 (6809 & 6309) qith DW4. I have them almost finished as I'm finishing up the documentation and making sure the VHDs all boot properly. These will be COMPLETE "turnkey" packages in that with one download and one installation, everything is installed and configured, ready to go. Only a couple of things have to be done manually before running, such as mounting the VHDs as my installer will not do that. Of course, this is a Windows only installation, but I am also working on a cross-platform installtion for real Cocos, DW4, XRoar and the upcoming (hopefully) Mess w/becker port (cross-platform). I hope to get this going soon.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com