[Coco] Disk controller

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Apr 15 20:26:57 EDT 2014

On Tuesday 15 April 2014 20:20:58 Chad H did opine:

> Well, not sure if those controllers have 7416 buffer chips or not, but
> one of my FD-502 controllers was acting erratic and after desoldering
> the 7416's and replacing them with beefier 7406 buffer chips it was
> good as new.  I went ahead and did the upgrade to my other controller
> to. Have never since had any further problems out of either one.  This
> might be something to check IF it has the 7416 chips..
>
> http://www.mediafire.com/view/cde2vmcqp63jt/Board%20Images#4sqrj7b4u1qpp
> 5q

However, ONLY the last drive in the chain is to have the terminating
resistor packs installed, or, in the case of the 3.5's, one might have to
get a glass and read the artwork on the pcb to find the cut or bridge
jumper that controls that.  And in my dumpster diving I have yet to find a
3.5" drive that was switch selectable.  Occasionally one might be
selectable via solder blob bridges, so you are lucky in that regard.  What
make & model are yours, so I can be on the lookout?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)