[Coco] hi kip

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 15:23:56 EDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 8:11 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 14 April 2014 14:04:27 Tormod Volden did opine:
>> Gene, why is that such a big problem? Once you see it in your Inbox
>> (and not only in Sent Mail) you know it has been distributed by the
>> list server. There is just a slight inconvenience of not being able to
>> see the full headers from the server with "View Original" - it would
>> have been more useful if it kept the list server version instead of
>> the outgoing version.

Gene, I think maybe you mean using gmail as a POP server, and not the
gmail web client which Arthur and I are talking about. In that case,
are your own posts not pulled down by POP? In the web client you see
your own post in the Inbox, but is it not marked as new because gmail
guesses that you have read it already (one might wish it was right
about that more often).

>> Anyway, as others have pointed out, the best place to verify your
>> posted mails is the mailing list archive.
>
> Which requires I go thru the whole procedure of firing up a browser,
> locating the archive on the web etc so I can go searching for it, wasting
> at least 5 to 10 minutes.  If gmail would just return the echo, the rest of

Every post to the list has a link to the mailing archive at the
bottom, so if you are looking at a CoCo post in your mail client, and
the mail client is clever enough to linkify URLs, it is just three
clicks to get to the archive, sorted by date...

> my scripts would simply sort it to the list folder where it is instantly
> visible with no action on my part.  If gmail wants to be the back end of a
> horse by doing that, I guess that is their choice, so mine is not to use
> it.  And I will continue to point this out every time someone says they
> can't see their own posts.  gmail use is the problem about 75% of the time,
> and its not list specific, its gmail specific.

Maybe those 75% are gmail/POP but that's only a minority of gmail users.

Tormod