[Coco] NitrOS-9 release plans [Was: Suggestions for New NitrOS-9]

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 12:56:11 EDT 2014

Hi all NitrOS-9 developers and contributors and users,

With the last CoCo fest coming up soon, I think it would be nice to be
able to celebrate a new NitrOS-9 release. So I am preparing to release
3.3.0 by tomorrow or the next few days. I guess I have been saying
this before but now I am pretty serious :)

Recent changes are King's Quest 4 updates from Guillaume Major.

I will post the release announcement once it is out, but for now I am
adding the most significant (or user visible) changes to the ChangeLog
file. Please tell me if something is wrong or missing:

- CoHR: Now supports COVDG control codes (Ken H.)
- New MinTED - Minimalist Text Editor (Luis Antoniosi)
- rb1773: Make 48 TPI floppy disks readonly in 96 TPI drives
  (Robert Gault and Gene Heskett)
- rbdesc/superdesc: Raise default SAS from $8 to $10 (Gene)
- Gene's myram RAM disk driver renamed to MRAM and included
  on L2 disk images
- Dragon: Fixed disk images (Tormod Volden)
- Fixed ROM boot images (Tormod)
- Added CoCo SDC driver (Boisy Pitre)
- Added CoCo Deluxe port (Boisy)

3rdparty:
- King's Quest 4: Many updates (Guillaume Major)
- New utils disk with Gene's bootlink and vfy utilities
- Pacos9: Brought back to life (Tormod)

General:
- Major cleanup of Makefiles and build infrastructure (Tormod)
- Everything now builds with lwtools (Tormod)
- Most (all?) things in shape again after lwtools transition
  (Tormod, David Ladd, Bob Devries, Boisy)

It is a bit unclear what is new since 3.2.9 since that one never was
released properly. And too many changes to mention since 3.2.8...

One question: For small disk images (utils etc), what is the preferred
disk format? If there can be an agreement on that...

Best regards,
Tormod