[Coco] Announcing CoCoCloud (aka DriveWire 5)

Chris Osborn fozztexx at fozztexx.com
Tue Apr 1 22:04:54 EDT 2014

On Apr 1, 2014, at 6:18 PM, Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we havent yet seen the "perfect" device for an embedded
> disk/networking/whatever server.  The pi isn't quite there, but its not far
> off either.

It’s definitely been a really great accessory for retro computing. I use one as a disk drive for my Commodore 64 with software I wrote. I’m also using it as a way to convert a USB gamepad into an Atari style 9 pin joystick. Sure makes gaming on the C64 a lot more enjoyable. I need to figure out what the “fast” protocol entails so I can use it with my C128, there don’t seem to be many docs on how it works. Another thing I’d like to do is somehow find a way to interface the Pi directly as a cartridge instead of having it work through a serial interface. I think the biggest problem with using the Pi is that the GPIO is 3v3 based and so it requires level converters all the time.