[Coco] colors

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Apr 1 14:59:51 EDT 2014

Wayne,
I do believe what you have read is correct. The first 8 palettes are background and the last 8 are foreground. It's just confusing as to which palettes OS9 is using as the default "background" & "foreground" palettes. I still don't understand it as well as I should, but I have a program that will show you what the palettes/colors are doing. I developed this sub-routine to be called from my "Sound Chaser" & "DW4Man" programs and it actually does a little more than just colors. It also does monitor type, mouse delay & resolution, key debounce and repeat delay. Warning, playing with the mouse or key delays is "System wide" not just limited to the current window. The key delays alone can mess up your default settings if you don't understand them. You'll have to reboot to recover the defaults.
Luckily. it will run standalone on a 80 col HW text screen. It does not run properly on hi-res graphics screens.

Here's a link to the disk with "SControl. Just copy the file into your CMDS dir and type SControl on any HW 80 col screen.
Because this program is meant to be run from anohter, the initial menu will be black except the current selection. Just use the arrow keys to move to "Set Screen Colors" and hit enter.
In the color menu, use the up/down arrows to change the palette, the left/right arrows to change the color for that palette. You can then see (by changing palettes/colors) what palettes affect the OS9 HW 80 col screen.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23059963/DW4Man/SControl.dsk

Also, in mentioning Vcc, it will not show proper RGB/Composite color unless both the montype in NOS9 and the Monitor type in Vcc's "Configuration/config/Display" panel are set the same.

I hope it helps you figure it out.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia