[Coco] Drivewire and ADOS...

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Sep 30 19:52:28 EDT 2013

On Monday 30 September 2013 19:35:48 Bill Pierce did opine:

> (button pushed) Now I will say something.
> First, I thought Aaron said DriveWire4 was Open Source? So why is HE
> responsible for anything? Although he is the only person (that I know
> of) working on the code, he said it was open for anyone to work on it.
> He asked for people to help... then didn't want this, didn't want that.

That has NOT been my experience.  But I should also point out that on THIS
list, Aaron is probably the only one who has more than 1 clue about writing
in java.

This is, IMO, the language that Pascal was intended to be, but writing a
pcode interpreter wasn't all that well received by the coco folks back in
the day.  I don't believe a true interpreter for the coco was ever written,
or if it was, it was "hidden under a basket".

> So we are creating a CENTRAL place where all is linked (not stored) to
> their original sites with some history (it IS a Wiki) and a few simple
> instructions on how to use them.... TOGETHER as they were designed and
> are intended to be used. If that's wrong and we look at it the way you
> guys are telling it... The Rainbow, Hot Coco, The Color Computer
> Magazine and COUNTLESS others should never have happened.... because
> they were a source OTHER THAN THE DEVELOPER where you could get
> tutorials, information, addresses and phone numbers. And the Coco
> wasn't even open source. If we look at it that way, we should've ONLY
> read the Coco manuals and NEVER went somewhere else for info. We ALL
> may as well tear down our websites, blogs, downloads, archives, forums
> etc. Because it's not the original source. Tandy still owns the patents
> on the Cocos and all rights to it's design and parts. That makes MOST
> of us guilty of copyright infringement from day one. And you're worried
> that someone's posted instructions may become outdated? Have you been
> to the countless abandoned Coco sites that are now some of the only
> sources for info? I've seen some that haven't been touched since 1999,
> 2001, 2003 etc. Real up to date info. And this is our source for info?
> That's sad.

You are reading into someones reply, something that I don't think was ever
intimated.  This thread may in fact lead to the creation of better
documentation, and there is not a thing wrong with that.

> Now you're telling me it's wrong to do a tutorial on a OPEN SOURCE
> project whose documentation seems to confuse some people? Or the
> website may get hacked, or the hardware may change, or the code may
> change?

If the site is wordpress based, it WILL get hacked.  That is a well proven
fact.