[Coco] 2764 EPROM vs 2864 EEPROM

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Sep 29 13:41:34 EDT 2013

On Sunday 29 September 2013 13:35:52 Steven Hirsch did opine:

> On Sun, 29 Sep 2013, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> If you are thinking of buying from Sivava, be aware that you will
> >> have none, nada, zero, zilch tech support.  He is happy to take your
> >> money, but does not respond to e-mail after the unit is in your
> >> hands.
> >
> > Thanks for the heads up Steve.  I take it that the SW I just
> > downloaded for linux will likely not work with it either.
> >
> > I take it then that this is an example of some jerk buying out a good
> > product, and then modding it just enough to make a captive customer,
> > and then not supporting that customer.
> >
> > One of the worlds surplus rectums IOW.
>
> He did not make himself a lot of friends in the Willem community.  There
> are other folks offering "real" Willem programmers without proprietary
> mods.  I think you'd be better served with one of them.  eBay should
> turn some up.

Since this seems to be well known, I take it that since all this stuff is
of Chinese gestation, one should steer clear of the ones claiming an
updated PCB, supposedly adding some very recent 3.3 volt devices to the
menu?  The google hits are numerous, and seem to swing both ways.

Eg, one that doesn't brag about that "Feature" stands a lot better chance
of being a clone of the real thing?