[Coco] 2764 EPROM vs 2864 EEPROM

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sat Sep 28 21:14:30 EDT 2013

While we're on the subject... Way back in 1995, I wrote some code to convert between binary files and Intel hex files as used by many EPROM programmers. I just took my dusty old code, crammed in some GPLv3 comments, and stuck it in my GitHub repository in case anybody might be able to use it:

  https://github.com/NF6X/eprom_tools

All of the usual disclaimers apply: Unsupported, use at your own risk, don't ever expect an update, if it breaks you can keep both pieces, etc. It's plain old C code, so hopefully it won't be too hard to build on your favorite platform. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it'll convert between the ROM cartridge files over in the CoCo archive and hex files suitable for programming into EPROMs.

Even way backer, I had written a similar set of tools which also knew how to parse Amiga binary executable files, perform the runtime linkage to place the code at a specified starting address, and then spit out Intel hex. I used that back in college to use my native C compiler on my Amiga 1000 to make ROM code for an embedded 68000 project I did for an engineering class. I think that code is long lost, but I may share it also if I ever find it when I try dusting off old Amiga disks someday.

I know where my EPROM programmer is and I have some dusty old EPROMs laying about, but now I need to see if I can find my old EPROM eraser so I can test out my ROM cartridge boards when they arrive.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/