[Coco] [Color Computer] Got my Coco out of mothballs...

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Sep 28 18:18:55 EDT 2013

On Saturday 28 September 2013 18:13:33 Marc Charbonneau did opine:

> That thread is raising one question in my mind : should not be that hard
> to write a filesystem driver for Linux to be able to format and
> read/write files in the coco floppy format. Then we could just use
> normal commands (or GUI tools) to copy to/from coco floppy.
>
> Anybody having the knowledge to do that ?

That rather quickly runs into hardware limits on some motherboards.

Attempting to set _any_ driver profile with setfdparm that involves 256
byte sectors OR track 0, sector 0 access, locks this machine up tight,
requiring a hardware reset to reboot it.  The hardware ASUS used for
SuperIO, is in that regard, buggier than a 10 day old carcass.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Much of the excitement we get out of our work is that we don't really
know what we are doing.
		-- E. Dijkstra
         law-abiding citizens.