[Coco] Floppy drive belts

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Thu Sep 26 22:13:19 EDT 2013

On Sep 26, 2013, at 18:15 , Brian Blake <random.rodder at gmail.com> wrote:
> The controller has rsdos and jdos and seems work.

Is that one of the controllers with dual ROMs and a selection switch? If so, then I'm sorry that I missed it! Congratulations!

> Anybody know where to find  replacement drive belts for Shugart SA200
> drives? Pretty sure these are the original drives for a J&M product.

Just as a data point: Back in the day, the single-floppy system that my Dad bought for our CoCo 1 had the original JFD-COCO controller and a single Teac FD-55B series drive, with a metal plate covering the opening over the other half of the full-height enclosure. Thus, no originality will be lost if you decide to retrofit your system with nice direct-drive Teac drives.

> I'm still google searching, but, I figured I'd ask too....

When I googled for a replacement belt for a Tandon drive in my Model 4P recently, I was very discouraged. I lucked out in that I had already acquired another drive of almost the same model as part of an upgrade for my CoCo, and it turned out to have a bad motor driver board. By swapping pieces I was able to make a good drive for the 4P without needing to source another belt.

The suggestion of looking at Apple II drives sounds pretty promising to me, because I see those on eBay quite often, sometimes at bargain prices.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/