[Coco] DriveWire is just a hobby (Was: DW4 on MAc & Linux)

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Thu Sep 26 20:20:32 EDT 2013

Let me make it clear that I love Drivewire, and I appreciate your work,
Aaron's work, and Mark Marlette at Cloud9 for making it available to all.

It's a great thing for the Coco, and it certainly makes the Coco more
usable. Especially under NitrOS9, as far as I can tell.

I just told Andrew Lynch of the NV8EM project about NitrOS9 and Liber809
(Did I mention I also own two Atari 800XL computers, and have a Liber809 on
my wishlist?). Andrew just made an S-100 CPU card for 6502, 6802, and 6809
processors
(http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?23698-homebrew-6809-6802-6502-system).
It runs CUBIX, FLEX, and DOS/65. I told him it would be neat to add the 6309
processor and NitrOS9 to the list of supported processors and operating
systems. I told him about Liber809 s an example of how NitrOS9 was not tied
to the Coco hardware, and could probably be ported to his board.

It would be neat if his NV8EM 6809 system could be the nucleus for a Coco 4
hardware platform. Who knows?

Once I learn enough to be useful, I'll pitch in to help with documentation.
First, I need a workspace, and then some time.

I also need a few minor hardware bits (512k upgrade, burn HDB-DOS ROM,
etc...).

It might have sounded like I wasn't appreciative. That's not the case. I
just see more that can be done to make Drivewire more accessible and easy to
setup for a new user.

-[ Al ]-