[Coco] DriveWire is just a hobby (Was: DW4 on MAc & Linux)

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Thu Sep 26 16:02:43 EDT 2013

LOL!!

Gene, I use Linux Mint.

I'm talking THREE SEPARATE COMPUTERS.

One is my Dell Laptop running Windows 7. The other is the Windows Vista box
I use as a Media PC, which is hooked up to my TV. I don't want to use my
laptop as the DW server, because I don't want the wire running from my bed
across the floor to the Coco. The third is the Coco 2 or 3 setup on a snack
table.

It is annoying to have to go back and forth between the AV2 input on my TV
(Coco 3) nd the RGB input for my DW server on my TV remote. I wish this TV
had Screen in screen. then I have three keyboards (laptop, wireless for
Media-PC, and Coco 3) plus the mouse for the Media-PC. This is NOT an ideal
setup.

Getting Drivewire 4 to work took a lot of going back and forth. Drivewire 3
server didn't work at all.

I am OS agnostic. I use Windows, Linux (since 1988 or so), Android, MacOS X,
MacOS 9, TRS-DOS/NewDOS 80/MultiDOS, MS-DOS, AmigaOS, Atari-ST TOS,
Apple ][ DOS and ProDOS, Coco DECB, whatever I need to do a task...

I'm not a beginning user.

> Did you try the script I published on this list, perhaps a week ago?  Or
> were you one of the righteous type that gave me heck for doing it?

Since I'm not using Linux as a server, or OS9, I ignored any scripts.

I'm using Windows Vista as a server (remember the recent question/thread
with that title?), and RS-DOS/HDB-DOS as the client.

And, I would never give a Linux guy heck about writing a script. The batch
files I used to write for end users years ago were a lot of fun, and saved
lots of time.

> Then I'd suggest you do learn os9/nitros9, because when you are comfy with
> it, then the step to linux is both intuitive and natural.  Linux throws in
> enough security if iptables is running, that you _can_ hook it directly to
> your cable or fiber modem without worrying about the machine being owned
> by
> a black hatter in 15 minutes from the time you plug in the cat-5 cable.

I'll be going the other way, having some experience with Unix-like systems
via my Linux experience, and MacOS X Server training.

But, I have a lot of reading about OS9 to do. And I need a better display
for my Coco 3 than my 26 inch TV and Composite Cable. I see an RGB to VGA
Monitor cable in my future.

> ...but there are times when if you want to know how it works,
> you must be willing to learn how it works by asking the right questions of
> the right people.

Right now, this list is all I have.

> A side effect of that is that when the answers have to
> be repeated weekly, the message about poor docs gets said just as plainly
> as the constant harping on it.  If in the process, you do manage to create
> better docs, something I suspect you will do a good job of, then I'd
> imagine edit perms will be gladly extended.

I hope to, once I create a workspace conducive to concentration and doing
that kind of thing. Lying on my back in bed, or working from a snack table
in my bedroom isn't going to work for me. I also need a grasp of the
material in order to be able to document it for others.

I bought a small desk from Walmart
(http://www.walmart.com/ip/Urban-Shop-Z-Shaped-Student-Desk-Silver/24216266),
I have a monitor stand the Coco will fit under, I bought several FD-501
drives that I will transplant a drive from to make one of them a 2 drive
box.

I have a pair of Hitachi Chips coming in anticipation of using NitrOS9 and
learning it.
I found my OS9 level One books and disks and some software for it.

I found my Botek Adapter and have a suitable printer to go with it. Though,
I won't be able to use it with HDB-DOS and Drivewire at the same time.

I need to burn an HDB-DOS ROM for my J&M Controller. I just need to know
which file to use, and how to get it to the correct memory area so I can
burn it to an EPROM on my Coco. I'd like to burn one for the Coco 2, and
another for the Coco 3.

All the Coco DECB manuals are cryptic on using the offset parameter of the
LOADM command, and I have to figure out where the ROM file is set to load
to, so I can calculate the offset and save it to tape for burning. I have an
EPROM eraser coming in case I screw up. My old one has disappeared.

ADOS made it seem so easy... LOL!

I have forgotten a lot about the Coco in 20 years, but it is all coming back
to me.

-[ Al ]-