[Coco] Quoting private email

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 15:50:38 EDT 2013

What a lynch mob! I don't see any evidence of the person mentioned in
the original post being the same guy who "threatened" Steve. All I can
see from Dennis' post is that he /asked/ for the message to be
removed. So from there to call him "condescending pr!ck" for his
"manifesting such behavior" is bad will in my opinion. Granted, I
would also guess it is the same person, but it would be a guess, very
much like Dennis's guess about him self-googling - which was also used
against the person further down in the thread.

Well, I also wanted to comment on the topic. Copyright and law aside,
it is impolite to quote a private e-mail in public. This includes
posting it to lists, or forwarding to others without the sender's
consent (unless you know the person and the circumstances so well that
you can be sure he's OK with it). In my opinion that would also cover
private e-mails from a business as long it is clear one-to-one message
exchange and not some boiler-plate newsletter. If we don't protect
privacy in such situations, it will eventually be difficult to get any
honest information from any business representative when you need it.

If something slips out, I find it legimitate, although rather futile,
to ask about having it removed. That is, ask as in asking, not
threatening. From what I know the person in question here might even
be willing to pay for the expenses incurred. I guess he won't but that
doesn't entitle me to call him names.

Tormod