[Coco] DW4 on MAc & Linux

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 12:07:04 EDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Al Hartman <alhartman6 at optonline.net> wrote:

>>> I had to experiment with Drivewire 4 to get the right settings for it to
>>> work.
>

>> I am interested to know what settings were not correct when you
>> completed the setup wizard, or if it was that a step in the setup
>> wizard did not make sense.  I can fix this if you let me know.
>

> For example, I had to know to turn on the HDB-DOS translation. I wasn't
> asked if my client was going to use HDB-DOS or OS9.

Many HDBDOS users do not wish to use the HDBDOS translation, and many
users like to use both OS9 and HDBDOS.  I am not sure there is a way
to automate this but I'm open to suggestions.

Things will work regardless of this setting, it just toggles between
two different but interchangeable modes.

> I wasn't told to exit the server and restart it after saving the changes. If
> I hadn't read the thread here, I wouldn't have known to do that.

If you use the simple wizard, there is no need to exit the server.  It
takes care of restarting the components that need to be restarted.

> If you can't fix the code to apply the changes immediately, an instructional
> dialog box is the next best thing.

As I explained before, this is not a matter of "fixing" anything.  The
program includes tools to make any change take effect, but it attempts
to accommodate a wide variety of situations by not interrupting things
unless the user specifically tells it to.  I find software that tries
to be too "smart" quite annoying (because it often ends up being
stupid) and prefer to let the user be the driver. I will add a dialog
that informs the user about this and their choices, that is a good
idea.