[Coco] Quoting private email

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Thu Sep 26 02:32:24 EDT 2013

I found this legal analysis at
http://homepage.cs.uri.edu/courses/fall2003/hpr108Bs1/readings/CF_email_short.html
:

If the e-mail were reproduced verbatim, or with only trivial changes,
the sender could also sue the recipient for violation of copyright
laws. However, if the e-mail was not marked with a copyright notice,
then the author can only recover the author's actual damages and "any
profits of the infringer that are attributable to the infringement",
and the defendants can claim "innocent infringement". 17 U.S.C. §§
401(d), 412, 504(b). Since most e-mail is not marked with a copyright
notice and the expression in most e-mail is not valuable [There is no
copyright protection for either ideas or information. 17 U.S.C. §
102(b)], copyright law gives little protection to typical e-mail.

So, unless the forwarding of a private email causes the sender some
sort of monetary damage, it appears safe to forward it, or at least
unlikely to result in any damage award if the sender insists on suing.

Art