[Coco] .DSK Partition extract/inject tool?

Melanie and John Mark Mobley johnmarkmelanie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 20:37:33 EDT 2013

I believe the following message came from Boisy Pitre.

I've attached a RAMDISK.BIN program which works with DW3 and a 512K

Coco3. This particular version of the RAM disk is set for drive255. If that
is

not convenient for you, because there are files on that drive you want to

access, I can send a version for any drive number you want.

Here is how the program is used. Just LOADM"RAMDISK" and the program will be

ready to use. You will no longer be able to access any DW3 drive255 because
that

will be the RAM disk. Before it can be used, you will need to DSKINI255.
Don't

be concerned about a warning message.

Let's say you want to copy a program from DRIVE#1 on drive137 to DRIVE#0 on

drive5. The command sequence would be:

DRIVE#1

COPY"file.ext:137"TO255

DRIVE#0

COPY"file.ext:255"TO5

Replace 'file.ext' with whatever the correct name is for the file.

You could revise your own transfer program to incorporate this syntax or you

could just do a full backup of one drive to another. With the RAM disk ready

go just:

DRIVE#1

BACKUP137TO255

DRIVE#0

BACKUP255TO5

This would copy every file and all unused sectors from one drive to the
other.

One interesting point about the RAM disk. The contents will stay intact
until

you power down the Coco3. So, even if you do a CTLR/ALT/RESET, you can

LOADM"RAMDISK" and find the contents of drive255 have not changed. That
means

while you can DSKINI255 at any time to clear the RAM disk, you only need to
do

that after a power up.