[Coco] NitrOS9 CoWin or CoGraf?

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Sep 24 21:57:28 EDT 2013

Bill Pierce wrote:

> I was wondering, what are really the differences between CoWin and CoGraf?
> I always thought it was the availability of Multivue type cmds such as overlays, menus and such, but in running some tests, I saw that Mutivue and MV Canvas would not run (ERROR 208 Illegal Service Request) but my own Sound Chaser and others would run and they use Multivue style windows and menus but they do not have mouse support (yet).
>
> So exactly what features were removed from CoWin to make CoGraf?
>
> Bill Pierce

Bill,

You are correct and here is a quote from the distribution scripts.
* CoGrf/CoWin subroutine module
* Use CoWin with Multi-Vue; use CoGrf
* for basic text and graphic window support.

Now if you write your own code for window support and use it instead of the OS,
you can do almost anything. You just can't do it with a system call.

Rather than answering your question directly, just open the source code for
cowin.asm and search for CoGrf. You will find all the conditionals that change
the code between cowin.io and cogrf.io.

Robert