[Coco] DriveWire 4 on Window 98

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 16:57:57 EDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Bruce W. Calkins wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene Heskett"
>

>> Rather than that, any machine with win98 on it should not be allowed a
>> network connection without protection of some sort in the router.
>
> Granted, also XP in a year or so will be in the same state.
>

>> A Win98 machine is also an excellent candidate to put a recent linux on.
>
> As long as it supports Physical Address Extention (PAE).  ALL of the recent
> Linux versions require it.  There is a upgrade work-around starting with a
> version from the Ubuntu 9.04 LTS era or earlier, but it is a PITA to do.

Note that Pentiums from 1995 on (all after Pentium Pro) support PAE.

And in the case your processor is older, Xubuntu 12.04 offers a
non-PAE flavour, supported to 2015. This is also the latest LTS (long
time support) release, I wouldn't recommend newer, non-LTS releases
anyway if you're not already a "dedicated Linux hobbyist".

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE

Tormod