[Coco] DriveWire 4 on Window 98

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Tue Sep 24 08:06:29 EDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Heskett"

> Rather than that, any machine with win98 on it should not be allowed a
> network connection without protection of some sort in the router.
Granted, also XP in a year or so will be in the same state.

> A Win98 machine is also an excellent candidate to put a recent linux on.
As long as it supports Physical Address Extention (PAE).  ALL of the recent
Linux versions require it.  There is a upgrade work-around starting with a
version from the Ubuntu 9.04 LTS era or earlier, but it is a PITA to do.

> But, I also sold her a yard sale router I had a $20 bill in, a
> Linksys WRT54GL that I had reflashed to DD-WRT, making
> her system as bullet proof against the attackers as there is.
That seems to work well here as well.

> Cheers, Gene
> --
Bruce W.