[Coco] An HDBDOS DW4 poll

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Mon Sep 23 23:20:25 EDT 2013

Bill Pierce wrote:

> In writing the tutorial on setting up and using drivewire, Ihave a question/poll for all hdbdos/dw users
> It's about setting the offset for partitions in HDBDOS
>
> When you are using hdbdos under DW do you...
>
> 1. Use RSDOS/OS9 partitioned VHDs with the offset poke directly into the hdbdos rom
>
> 2. Use RSDOS/OS9 partitioned VHDs with the offset set in th DW server's "Drive Parameters"
>
> 3. Use only single partition VHDs for RSDOS and OS9 with no offsets
>
> 4. Just use floppy disk images because you never can figure out the offsets for partitions or know nothing about them
>
> This info would be helpful.
>
> Bill Pierce

Since the .vhd image format dates back to the JVC emulator and the emudsk OS-9
driver, I have been using the same .vhd images that work with the emulators JVC,
MESS, and VCC. These disks have an OS-9 partition of $5A000 sectors with the
Disk Basic partition starting immediately after.
Since I also have occasion to mount in Drivewire both .dsk (Disk Basic) and .os9
images, I use a menu system that automatically runs when I turn on my Coco to
adjust the Drivewire HDBDOS offset to either $00000 or $5A000 as needed.