[Coco] So, how do I make Drivewire go?

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 23 20:15:27 EDT 2013

Correct.  I put that document together a few years ago based on the
DriveWire 3 spec.

*** MUST Tie pins 1 & 2 together to use DriveWire 4 ROM!! PARAMOUNT! **

Unfortunately, Chris said he installed his DriveWire server on Linux and
outside of the "Android" flavor, I don't how enough experience with Linux to
even consider it to be experience at all.  (iow...whole lot of nothing)

However, assuming the DriveWire 4 server sets up in Linux just like it does
in Windows, one of the following configurations SHOULD work based on my
experience in the last few days.

A. DriveWire 3 mode
	I. Use DriveWire 3 ROM on the CoCo (Wav, Bin, ROM, etc)
	II. Pins 1 & 2 shorted or not, doesn't matter
	III. If CoCo 2 (which I believe Chris has), select 56700bps

	This should do it for a standard DW3 mode setup using the DW 4
server.

B. DriveWire 4 mode (Turbo!)
	I.  Use DriveWIre 4 ROM on the CoCo (Wav, Bin, ROM, etc)
	II.  Make sure you go and "Check For Updates" to get the latest
revision (It was 'p' when I did this)
	II.  Pins 1 & 2 MUST BE SHORTED!!  (I did this inside the DIN
connector)
	III. If CoCo 2 selct 56700bps  (yes, standard rate!)
      IV.  Go into "Configuration" and then select "Show Advanced" at the
top-right.
       V.  Look for "DetectDATurbo" and make it "True"

After these steps are completed, regardless of which setup you used... EXIT
AND RESTART DRIVEWIRE 4 SERVER!
AFTER DriveWire 4 is up running again with fresh settings, THEN boot the
DriveWire ROM.

Drive access for me has been flawless thus far.  I tried checking out the
printer emulation though and it just hangs the CoCo when I do a LLIST or
what not.  Printer Emulation is enabled in the DriveWire 4 server with
DriveWire 4 ROM running.  Emulation is set to default:  FX80, Text mode.  Is
this feature not supported by the ROM?  Perhaps it was intended for a OS9
setup.  Can anyone shed light on this please?