[Coco] DriveWire 4 - Turbo Mode + ROM *SOLVED!*

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 05:51:40 EDT 2013

The Coco with a "DW4" ROM sends the code to switch to 230k (or 115k on
a coco2) when HDBDOS is started.  If you are using the DetectDATurbo
switch, then you'll have to restart HDBDOS to send this code any time
the server is restarted.

This code is also sent by the DW4 mode OS9 drivers when they start, so
you can use a regular DW3 ROM and only use the turbo mode when OS9
boots up (this was originally the only was to use turbo mode. there
was no turbo ROM, and this is the reason the detectDATurbo option
exists).

Another option would be to just set your server to always use turbo
settings.  Then detection would not matter.  These are:

<SerialRate>230400</SerialRate>  (or 115200 for coco 2)
<SerialParity>none</SerialParity>
<SerialStopbits>2</SerialStopbits>
<ProtocolFlipOutputBits>true</ProtocolFlipOutputBits>
<ProtocolResponsePrefix>true</ProtocolResponsePrefix>

Setting things this way probably makes more sense if you are using a
turbo ROM.  When the server code was written, this was not available.
Also, when the server code was written it was only available for CoCo
3.  This is why there are some static references to 230k mode.  Don't
let that bother you if you are using a CoCo 2, the actual serial port
rate is now set to 2X whether 57600 or 115k originally.