[Coco] DriveWire 4 - Turbo Mode + ROM *SOLVED!*

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 23 00:48:31 EDT 2013

Ok, with have verified both the .BIN and the .ROM variants of the DW4 ROMS
in the Toolshed Snapshot are indeed operational (atleast CoCo 2 versions
anyways).

Some critical (i.e. made the difference!)  points I learned...

*  Changes to the DriveWire 4 configuration do NOT necessarily take effect
after "writing to server" completes.  Should exit the server application and
re-launch it in order to make sure settings are in effect.

*  If you are making changes to DriveWire 4, particularly with the
"DetectDATurbo=True" option, you need to power-down the CoCO unit as well!!!
I was not doing this before and kept getting errors.  Apparently the CoCo
does some sort of 'initialization' at bootup (just before the OK prompt
shows).  Its at this time DriveWire 4 kicks in and says the following...
Sun Sep 22 2013 23:35:14.218  INFO   DWProtocolHandler   dwproto-0-9
Detected switch to 230k mode

Yes, you read that right, "230k mode".  I thought I had read that the CoCo 2
was only doing 115k and that the CoCo3 was doing 230k.  Maybe its just a
standard status message that really just means "double-speed"?  I don't
know.  Also, as Ken pointed out, the base serial bit rate is set at "57600".
It's the CoCo Boot sequence in the Turbo ROM, coupled with the
"DetectDATurbo=True" setting in the DW4 configuration that makes the magic
happen

Hopefully these keypoints and others will be incorporated into the "Starter
Kit" Bill is working on.  Thanks all!  Time to crash now, mission
accomplished.....