[Coco] newb: Can I use DriveWire with my CoCo 2?

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 22 11:59:42 EDT 2013

I concur with this entirely.  I also feel what Aaron said about
"documentation not being fun".  While I'm not currently employed as a
"programmer" per say, I do make use of my skills in this area at my work
place not only for personal benefit but also for the benefit of co-workers.
Many of my projects there are SOLEY for their benefit in fact.  I to  do not
care for "waisting time" on documentation.  Some of those knuckleheads
wouldn't even read it anyways, they just come straight to me to figure out
how to do something with the applications I come up with.  It's just how
people are wired...they go to whatever resource is the most convenient and
helpful.   Here in the CoCo online community, people can't just call up  or
talk directly to the authors, they need a good place to go to get
'standardized/official' support.  Now if they take it upon themselves to
experiment and go outside the box to 3rd party ROM's or other mods, they
should seek support elsewhere on that.  It's not the responsibility of the
author to support mahem they didn't create.

On a side note... I think I found that DriveWire 4 package is NOT supported
by Windows '98.  If it is, will someone please tell me what I'm missing.  I
will describe what I've done so far.  Keep in mind DriveWire 3 already runs
fine on this machine.
*  Unzipped and executed DriveWire 4, got message: "Java 1.5 is required"
and it closed, so I researched
	For the lastest win'98 compatibal Java package which does seem to be
1.5.
* Installed Java 1.5 (586) revision 18 and attempted to execute DW4, got
message: "Could not find the Main class.  Program will exit".
	I Googled this and found someone had some luck running it from the
command line after Java was added to the PATH so
	I tried that and got: Exception in thread "Main"
Java.Lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError

I suspect DriveWire 4 was compiled to use a higher version of Java, which
Windows '98 doesn't seem to be able to run a higher version of Java.  I
tried installing Java 1.6 and it failed.