[Coco] newb: Can I use DriveWire with my CoCo 2?

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Sep 22 01:24:06 EDT 2013

Aaron, That's part of the problem... there are no "maintainers" for most of the stuff needed. I would just link a site to the HDBDOS roms... but where? Sure, a couple of people have them on obscure "fan" sites, but there's no official repo other than the sources. The NitrOS-9 part will just be a demo to get people started.

The whole point is hardly anyone (including me) wants to have to go to 20 websites and download a bunch of files just to be able to run their Coco. This is the very reason a lot of people have not done it and probably won't. Unless the can get a booster... a starter kit.

Yes, Software changes, but it always has. It didn't stop us from posting it then and it shouldn't now. It can always be updated.... if it's somewhere publicly known and accessible so that it CAN be updated.

The idea is a starter kit. Not THE definitive Coco/HDBDOS/NitrOS9/DW4 package to beat all packages, but a simple yet complete package with everything needed to start the CURRENT state of the DW4/HDBDOS/NitrOS9 experience. From there will be links to the originals and updates. But WAIT.... Links can change too... Man... why don't we just give up and go home. Leave it all to the programmers... they can just build it and keep it.... NOT! (don't get me started there again :-P )

BTW... The Coco serial to DB-9 & DB-25 cable has been around since the 80s. They used it to network with MSDOS and thier Tandy 1000s, as well as Model 1, 3, & 4 and others. I had one in '95 hooked to my Win 95 machine transferring text files. I didn't have one before then as I had no other computer before then except my Cocos. There's text diagrams of the cable conversion in the MM archives from old messages on Delphi and CIS

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com