[Coco] newb: Can I use DriveWire with my CoCo 2?

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 22 00:51:57 EDT 2013

RS-DOS was the rudementry DOS included in the Disk Controller PAKS that
supplemented the machine's internal BASIC ROM's, without replacing them.

OS-9 was a whole new OS that was loaded from floppy disk and gave access to
the full 64K (*64k is required actually) on CoCo 1's & 2's.  OS-9 Level 2
came later with more enhancements specifically for the CoCo 3 and will not
run on a CoCo 2.

I'm not really sure of the best way to tell you to identify which format a
disk is in, short of just 'knowing' if it's a OS-9 game/app or not, or
looking it up.  Otherwise, attempt a DIR and see if you get garbage.  If so,
it's probably the other kind of disk.

Also, there are MS-DOS utilities that can create, manage or extract .DSK
images and contents that might help you along the way.  Might want to look
for these for the PC:  DSKINI, RETRIEVE, OS9.  I know they are included with
several emulators out there.

Aaron and Bill are stepping up the DriveWire game to help us out :)