[Coco] RS232 Pak needed

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Sep 21 22:31:19 EDT 2013

On Saturday 21 September 2013 21:52:12 Richard E. Crislip did opine:

> Sooo what are you selling Gene? I must not have gotten the memu 8-).

I haven't made up my feeble mind yet Richard.  All these discussions has
made me realize I have some duplicated equipment though. I dug Dennis
Scala's old original coco3 and its matching MPI out last night to see what
color it was after 20 years in a oem packing box stuck in an even darker
box, quite nice actually.  I do know it has the early, noisy (1986) gime in
it, and the warranty seal on the MPI is broken so I assume its had the
coco3 fix.  But I never used it, Karl and I drove up to Erie PA & bought it
right off a small desk in his living room.  I wanted the Disto 4n1 to
replace a B&B HD setup that reinvented the word flaky, and Karl wanted
something else from it for his coco system & I wound up with the coco3 &
the MPI to stash for the end of time I guess.

Then the discussion with Luis over his WP-RS prototype that must have been
the replacement for the WP-RS if Tandy sales hadn't flushed the coco, made
me take inventory, and it turns out I have 3, one of which has been
modified for TTL synchs out of a db9 (vga) connector, & that one I should
probably package with the 13" PC Monitor 80 it drove.  The other two, one
white, one black like the modified one still have the RCA video out and
probably will need to have the I/O address decoding modified so its all in
one 4 byte I/O block, at $FF78-7B which /my/ version of the drivers has
been patched for.  For some reason, known only to the PBJ folks the stock
model used $FF76-79, which ties up two I/O blocks on the coco and should
have been a hanging offense.  But I'm not using those now for several years
as Boisy excised the drivers from Nitros9 quite some time back when I
wasn't looking, sometime in the later 90's I guess when I was so busy at
the tv station.

I've worn out most of my floppy drives, but have 3 J&M controller's, one a
CP that I had to quit using to drive a parallel printer when the FCC made
then quiet the noise down, the J&M-CP's write pulse wasn't long enough to
get through a DMP-132's noise filters.  There is also an HDI controller
buried around here someplace, one that I think the hi-dens mod could be
hacked into, but I've not uncovered it recently.  With drivewire now, who
cares?  And that isn't near the whole list.

And a small grocery sack of games , Speech-sound pack, one of the x-pads,
several coco 1 & 2's.  One tends to collect this stuff at yards sales,
stick it on the shelf and promptly forget its there.