[Coco] My Coco 2 Sytem...

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Sat Sep 21 17:39:47 EDT 2013

Since I had ordered a couple of replacement processors, which were “B” chips, I decided to put the straight 6809EP that was temporarily in the Coco 3 into the Coco2.

When I powered it up, there was garbage in the center of the screen. I tried reseating the RAM, but the garbage persisted.

I took the RAM out of another Coco 2 that had a melted keyboard (not the early version with the lower profile keys, but a keyboard that actually had been exposed to an extreme heat source and melted. Anyone got spare keyboards?), rather than play swap the RAM chips. I’ll test the chips later to find the bad one( s).

That seemed to work as the Coco no longer showed garbage on boot. But now, any disk access gives I/O Errors with my J&M controller that works fine with my Coco 3.

Any idea what chip or chips I should change next?

-[ Al ]-