[Coco] Little Johns 8 slot MPI

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Sep 21 17:22:35 EDT 2013

On Saturday 21 September 2013 17:10:29 Mark J. Blair did opine:

> On Sep 21, 2013, at 09:58 , Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > But when loaded into eagle, I find the .brd is 6.05" wide front to
> > back and I would need about 1.5" more Y axis travel than my mill has.
> >  So, short of building a new machine, which I might not have time to
> > finish, I can't make it.
>
> Maybe it would make more economic sense to fabricate the board at a
> quick-turn PCB house like PCBexpress, APcircuits, OshPark, etc? I
> haven't examined the design files for this MPI, but if you're talking
> about milling a PCB then I presume it's just 1 or 2 layers.
>
> On the other hand, if you want to use this project to justify building a
> bigger CNC mill, then I'll helpfully point out that it would be
> fiscally irresponsible to NOT set up a mill to build this board at
> home. :)
>
> > The $650 model is big enough, but has 2 start trapezoidal screws,
> > whatever that means, I think 2 threads per revolution of the screw.
>
> Yes, that's what "2 start" generally means on a screw. If the screw
> pitch looks like, say, 10 TPI but it's 2-start, then the nut will
> advance as if it was a 5 TPI screw.
>
> > I can't justify it, but I'm still thinking. ;-)
>
> I've found that with sufficient thought, I can justify *anything*! :)

Trouble is, Dee has had going on 24 years now to see through most of my
"justifications".  OTOH, I do think she appreciates that they give me
something to do, if only I'd load the dishwasher first! :)

Just this morning as it was starting to rain, she made the remark that
after all, I did build a garage, why didn't I use it?  She knows full well
because its full of woodworking stuff.  I did test fit the GMC once by
shoving everything to the side or back, had to remove the Reese plugin to
put the door down, 3" to a workbench and chop saw on the right, about a
foot for me to wiggle past it on the left & the front bumper was holding up
the table saw at a slight angle.

Which I do more and more of as her COPD "progresses".  Its been known to be
beer-thirty before Jimmy Buffets 5 o-clock somewhere.  But, being diabetic,
the limit is 2/day.  Now its 17:20 local, so dinner is next, but the season
isn't open yet so I can't shoot it. :(

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My web page: <http://gene.homelinux.net:6309/gene> should be up!

Nipples, dimples, knuckles, NICKLES, wrinkles, pimples!!
         law-abiding citizens.