[Coco] Little Johns 8 slot MPI

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Sep 21 12:58:53 EDT 2013

On Saturday 21 September 2013 12:01:09 Louis Ciotti did opine:

> How about all the files?   Would like to see them myself, both schematic
> and layout.

I found part 2, at <http://www.coco3.com/community/2010/07/this-is-part-2-
of-3-of-an-8-slot-mpi-multi-pak-interface-design-for-my-friends-at-coco3-
com-andor-the-maltedmedia-list-members-from-your-friend-johngimechip-com/>

There is a link there to the part 1 files I already have, but it turns out
part 2 has the whole mary ann in it.

But when loaded into eagle, I find the .brd is 6.05" wide front to back and
I would need about 1.5" more Y axis travel than my mill has.  So, short of
building a new machine, which I might not have time to finish, I can't make
it. On ebay, the cheapest I can get a machine suitable for this accuracy
OOTB because it has ball screws is $1050, FOB Hong Kong, the only one I
could find with ball screws for drive.  Ouch...  I could do it, but I'd
have to make lots of boards to pay for that.  Unforch, it comes /with/ the
motors drivers, something I really don't need if I switch cabling, or I'd
need to find another atom based computer kit & monitor, another $350 & who
knows what customs would want coming in from Hong Kong.  Thats a long boat
& truck ride to WV, USA.

The $650 model is big enough, but has 2 start trapezoidal screws, whatever
that means, I think 2 threads per revolution of the screw. They might be
accurate enough if the nuts were molded in place out of delrin, but they
would also use 90% of the motors to turn them, where ball screws are very
low friction.  The molded in place delrin nuts are, according to what I've
read very long lasting, like ball nuts if kept clean.  The spindle motor
has an ER11 collet and only spins 8 grand where the bigger one spins at 20
grand max.  I can't justify it, but I'm still thinking. ;-)