[Coco] RS232 Pak needed

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Fri Sep 20 04:07:02 EDT 2013

Picaxe are great for a quick and dirty test or small production of
something.  But making a project with orders of 50 or more, I would use
a pic or some other micro-controller with a lower cost than the Picaxe's
$3.50.  (more like $0.75 each)

My first step is take a look at what you are trying to interface into
the CoCo.  If we are looking at just older RS-232 device then making a
replacement for the old RS-232 Pak is the direction we should go.  The
cost of goods to build this type of board would run under $7.50.   The
"hard" part of doing this project is writing the code to make the Pic
chip think that its a 6551.  One option that we could add would be a
large I/O buffer with full hardware handshaking.  That could speed up
the I/O.

Steve