[Coco] help w/HDB-DOS

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Sep 19 15:45:22 EDT 2013

Bill
In HDBDOS, DIR 1-3 work just as normal.... as do DIR4-255... with a twist :-)
To access REAL disks 0-3, you must use the command "DRIVEOFF" to turn off virtual drives 0-3.
 4-255 will work as virtual since DECB doesn't know these drives.
DRIVEON (Also the default) will access virtual drives 0-255 but will NOT access real drives 0-3

Now... you can also turn the first 4 drives (0-3) on and off individually by specifying which drive is on or off in the command:
DRIVEOFF
0-3 =real
4-255 = virtual

then

DRIVEON 0
0= virtual
1-3= real
4-255 = virtual

or

DRIVEON 3 (assuming DRIVEOFF above)
0-2 = virtual
3=real
4-255 = virtual

The same goes for DRIVEOFF
But both will rely on whether you are in DRIVEOFF or DRIVEON mode. Hence
a DRIVEON3 after a DRIVEON does nothing as all 3 drives are on already
If you issued DRIVEOFF then DRIVEON3 will turn on virtual drive 3 and turn off real drive 3
ON= virtual
OFF= real

These 2 commands ONLY work on Drives 0-3. 4-255 are always virtual.

Now.... if I am getting you wrong and you are actually referring to the DRIVE# cmd... then that's a whole 'nutha ball game
DRIVE#0 refers to the physical vhd slot in Drivewire Slot 0 in the server's (PC) GUI... Not a "disk drive"
A vhd can have up to 256 (0-255) DECB "disk" partitions.
Drivewire has slots for up to 0-255 VHDs.
HDBDOS will only acces VHDs 0-3
DRIVE#0
DRIVE#1
DRIVE#2
DRIVE#3

When active, niether VHD can be (normally) copied to or from the other meaning... you cannot be on DRIVE#0 and load, kill, rename, or copy a file for DRIVE#1, DRIVE#2 or DRIVE#3.

I know the naming convention is kind of confusing, but that's how it all work in a nutshell.
Try reading the HDBDOS manual as it explains it all in detail.

Personally, I feel the DRIVE cmds dealing with disks, should have been named "DISK" to help avoid confusion, but what do I know?

Hope this helps,

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia