[Coco] Coco 3 - 1 meg or 2 meg upgrade?

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Sep 17 20:34:47 EDT 2013

Bruce, I caught that as I was entering your list into my compiled list.
That's 3 that I know of. Is that a working coco? Or just shelved?

I'm currently working on some software that will utilize the extra memory when present. It should prove interesting. I found you can allocate get/put buffers in NitrOS9 till the memory runs out. The only thing required is a valid L2 screen (text or graphics, no VDG) to host the buffer path.

In my test program, I've opened 64 x 8k buffers (512k), unmapped, remapped, did writes, unmapped, remapped, did reads to verify the data written and still had 240k free on a 1 meg system with full DW4 Nitros9 boot and utils with 2 HW 80 column windows open and a 90k ramdisk open. I could've opened 14 more buffers and still had 128k for programs. That's 544k for one large buffer for a text editor, graphics animator, midi sequencer, or anything that need more memory. All it takes is an indexing system to keep up with where in the buffers you are at. Such as: CurIndex / Pagesize = CurPage. Remainder = Curpos in Curpage. Simple.

This works on 512k as well, just no where near as many buffers. I think 43 was when I ran out of memory. That was with full boot, utils, 90k ramdisk and 3 text windows open plus the workspace for the program itself.

Thanks :-)

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia