[Coco] FD-502 dual drive system on eBay (not mine)

Christopher Smith csmith at wolfram.com
Tue Sep 17 12:58:17 EDT 2013

So you use a high-density drive, with high-density media, at double-density?  That may actually fix the problem of having the data not stick, given that the same heads that would have been writing the high-density media in the usual HD setup are doing so anyway. :)  The impression I got was that it was a problem with the heads in double-density drives not being able to magnetize the disk properly, so you should be safe unless you try to later take the disk and do something with it on a system with a real double-density drive.

I thought about doing something of the sort, but I had intended to lock the medium detection switch into the double-density position and just use double-density media.  I do have a 3.5" high-density drive that still has drive-select jumpers, so it could go into the system on whichever ID I wanted it to use.

Chris