[Coco] MPIs & Cartridges With Solder/Tin Contacts Can Now Be fixed With A Gold Contact Plug Upgrade!

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Sep 16 13:26:25 EDT 2013

On Monday 16 September 2013 13:12:47 billg999 at cs.uofs.edu did opine:

> > You can also apply a bit of Stabilant 50 to the edge connector. It
> > will keep
> > the fingers from oxidizing over time. Jerry Pournelle, who wrote for
> > Byte Magazine swears by it.
>
> He used to write SciFi and often talked in his columns about the people
> who came over to actually install or fix any of the computers he used
> to write his books. (Like Dr. Godbout!!  Anybody remember him?)  Having
> read Byte (and his column) for many years, I never considered him to be
> tech savvy.

Neither did I.  Jerry was a user, a quite intelligent user/writer, but he
was far more interested in keeping the word count up than in the how as
long as it worked.

> bill

As the CE at WDTV-5, I bought the propaganda and bought some, quite pricey
AIR. Good for perhaps long enough to get the baby, but like the baby, when
it quit, lots of cleanup required, way too hard to get it cleaned off to
bare metal again, so by 2 years later it was becoming a major PIMA to me.

In the end I went back to tarnex for the really oxidized contacts.  Lets
just say that as a dependability enhancement, I was less than impressed
over the long haul.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My web page: <http://gene.homelinux.net:6309/gene> should be up!

Getting the job done is no excuse for not following the rules.

Corollary:
	Following the rules will not get the job done.
         law-abiding citizens.