[Coco] Needed: Top cover for Coco3

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Sep 13 17:01:11 EDT 2013

On Friday 13 September 2013 16:53:14 camillus Blockx did opine:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Maybe you do not need a cover, I took out the transformer and hooked
> up a external power unit. This gives you enough room to put in a small
> vent that cools down the power transistor which is the main heat
> source. I can send you some pictures of my own coco3 with the
> modification if you like.
>
> Just let me know.
>
> cba

I went even further, removing ALL the power supply goodies, hooking up one
of those 4 pin trailer wiring kits to feed it with an old old XT power
supply.  MPI too.  With lots left over for hard drives.  With a HD63C09EP
and a Disto 2 meg kit in it, with cmos simms, I can cover it with a
furniture blanket with a darkroom thermometer laying above the memory, boot
it up and see a 3 degree above room temp rise on the thermometer the next
day.  The coco doesn't seem to make much heat, but its power supply
efficiency is maybe 20%.