[Coco] IT"S ALIVE!!!

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Sep 12 09:20:32 EDT 2013

Bill Pierce wrote:

> Wow.... It finally came back to life!
> ... I noticed the rom chip on the keyboard interface was a little dusty so I decided to clean it while I had the computer open. I took out the chip (carefully) and proceeded to clean it with some alcohol and qtip when the bottom half of one of the pins fell off.

Great story and not that unusual I'd bet. The same thing happened to me with a
GIME chip.

In order to test software that gave the Coco3 a "run for its money", I would
exchange the two GIME chip versions to see how the GIME chips differed. This was
with regards the search for the "256 color mode". I did this once too often and
broke a pin off the newer GIME as it came out of the plastic.

Luckily there was still a small amount of metal visible which I could expose
further by scraping away some plastic with a knife blade. With the GIME inserted
in the socket, I placed a short piece of copper wire into that portion of the
socket so that it made contact with both the socket and residual pin.
The Coco3 worked perfectly!

Robert