[Coco] So, does anyone know where to get disk drives?

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 18:42:38 EDT 2013

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013, Michael Graham wrote:

>> I think there must be a difference in the magnetics, or else I wouldn't
>> have such trouble using 96tpi disks in older 48tpi drives. At least for the
>> disks I have, when I try to format a 96tpi disk in a 48tpi drive, I can't
>> ever read it back.

> Nevermind, I should have done a basic search first.  There's no difference
> between double density and quad density disks, but there is a difference
> between those and high density disks, despite high density also being 96tpi.

Yes, precisely.  YMMV, but at a physical level most DD drives (or HD
drives forced to DD mode) cannot fully saturate the magnetic domains on a
1.2M HD 5.25" diskette.  The keywords being "most" and "fully".  If it
works for you, good.  I personally wouldn't trust this combination for
long term archiving, however.

Steve