[Coco] Drivewire4 - Java problem

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 09:31:27 EDT 2013

On Sep 1, 2013 8:11 AM, "Bill Pierce" <ooogalapasooo at aol.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> After a complete (reformat) re-installation of my Windows Vista Home
Premium 64 bit system and re-installing the latest Java package, I've
noticed that when I run Drivewire4 then close it, I cannot reopen Drivewire
4 until the java applet removes itself from memory. This sometimes takes a
few minutes. If I click on the DW4 icon during this time, nothing happens.
When the java app finally disappears from the services list in task
manager, I can once again run Drivewire.
> In my previous Windows install (same version of windows and java) I did
not see this problem. Since I use both 32 bit and 64 bit browsers, the Java
site suggested I install both 32 & 64 bit installations of Java. I'm pretty
sure I had the same thing on my previous install of java.

This may be more an aspect of your serial driver (if using a USB serial
adapter, I would not expect any issue with "real" uarts).   Drivewire asks
the serial port to close as it is exiting.  Usually this happens instantly,
but some driver/adapter combinations seem to wait several seconds before
returning from the close request.  The UI tells the server to exit and then
exits itself without waiting, so the java process you see running could be
the server sitting there waiting for the close call to finish.   If
possible try getting the most recent driver, might fix it.

> Multiple instances of DW4 are not happening either. Before, I could run
several instances of dw4. Now after starting the first instance, no other
instance will start.

This is a sort of safeguard added recently.  The .exe launcher won't start
multiple copies of Drivewire to help with some problems people were having
(possibly related to the above).

You can make a .cmd or .bat file with the same contents as the Linux .sh
file and use that to start multiple copies, the limitation is implemented
only in the .exe shim and not Drivewire itself.

You may not need to execute multiple copies of DW any more.  A single copy
can drive a practically unlimited number of Cocos on as many serial or TCP
ports as you like.  There is an instance manager tool in the GUI that lets
you start/stop and quickly switch between devices.  You currently do have
to manually create as many instance sections in config.xml as you need
though.  Copy and paste of the one in the default xml will work, you can
then edit each one via the wizard or config editor.  Not quite complete on
the GUI side but the server stuff is well tested and actually has been
around for many versions.

> I feel this is a Java problem and not DW4. Does anyone know what may
cause Java not to close itself after the dw4 software closes?