[Coco] Copying CoCo diskettes to PC

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 20:54:21 EDT 2013

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Le 2013-10-30 à 18:09:00, Steven Hirsch a écrit :
>
>> I do - made the mistake of buying one last year.  They have lofty goals,
>> but last time I used it the software support for a lot of common formats
>> was lacking.  In particular, it has a lot of issues with 8" diskette
>> formats. Disks that a real WD-style controller had no problems with just
>> threw it for a loop. Some things do work well, but it's got a ways to go.
>
> The bottomline for me is whether it can read CoCo's 5.25" disks. I have SSDD
> disks and DSDD disks (including some flippies). They are formatted with 3
> different filesystem types : DECB, OS9 (mostly level II but some level I as
> well), and ColorLOGO. So, is the KryoFlux supporting all those things for
> both reading and writing ?

Well, they _claim_ they do.  I have not personally tried it, since I have
plenty of other ways to read/write CoCo diskettes.  All I can tell you is
that they _claim_ it can support 8" FM and MFM formats, but in my
experience that's not completely true.  I use Dave Dunfield's ImageDisk
program on an older MS-DOS computer to read and write 8" diskettes, which
it does with incredible reliability.

Despite all the claims about the "insane amounts of work" being put into
Kryoflux, you'll note that the web site hasn't been updated in several
years and the software only slightly more recently.

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions as to whether it's worth
sinking money into.  It's useful enough for C64 and Amiga diskettes that I
keep it around despite limitations in other areas.

Steve