[Coco] Copying CoCo diskettes to PC

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 29 23:16:56 EDT 2013

Le 2013-10-30 à 01:25:00, Nick Marentes a écrit :

> Is there a need to create real disks anymore? Especially on a PC.

I mentioned writing to diskettes in case someone recommends software I
could use to ease transfers the other way around, for example something
that could transmit whole disk images from a CoCo disk drive through the
serial port of a CoCo, so that I can save disk images on the PC.

But I will probably buy a new disk drive or drive adaptor.

> What about using disk images for use on a PC in an emulator?

That would be nice, but I need to make those disk images from my existing
collection of real disks.

> These same disk images can be mounted and accessed on a real CoCo using
> Drivewire/HDBDOS.

I just came from the eighties. My most recent CoCo hardware is CRC's Disto
controller and/or GHÉ's CoCoMax3 adaptor in 1988. I have had no contact
with the CoCo scene since about 1991. I'll look at Drivewire later.

> Drive images will archive better than real disks of which I have found
> most of my old physical disks are now unreadable and merely gum up my
> drive head with magnetic deposits.

You don't have to convince me of this : I came to this mailing-list today
specifically because I want ways of backing up disks so that I don't lose
data (among other reasons, but that's the big one).