[Coco] What would your ideal CoCo cartridge do?

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sun Oct 27 17:14:54 EDT 2013

I was just daydreaming about what an ideal cartridge for my CoCo 3 might do. This is what I came up with:

* Floppy drive controller for real floppy drives.

* Battery-backed real time clock.

* Hard drive emulation using SD or CF for storage.

* DECB-compatible ROM. I'm not sure whether the ROM would support hard drive access from Basic, or if it would just provide a command to boot an operating system from the virtual HD much like the DOS command for booting from floppies. Or maybe it would look just like an original FD-502 with a normal DECB ROM, but the virtual HD and other functions would appear to the CoCo as other cartridges plugged into an emulated Multi-Pak Interface?

I'm just thinking out loud. I wonder what other folks would want in their ideal CoCo cartridge?

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/