[Coco] hardware scrolling

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Sat Oct 26 13:31:02 EDT 2013

I agree Nick, I've seen stuff like this while working on code that crashed.

Not very useful with all that screen trash and the fact you spend all of
the cpu time "scrolling" the screen.

Now, I did make the screen shake in my Canyon Climber and scrolling in
Desert Rider games for Tandy.  (Switching between 3K and 6K screen
sizes.)  Even though the screen did scroll down, I would hardly call any
of this stuff hardware scrolling by any means.

In the years before the CoCo 3, we did a lot of "tricks" on the VDG/SAM
to come up with new display modes.  Most of those tricks did not carry
over to the CoCo3, so they been lost to the ages. It's a little like
indoor pluming.  The Roman Empire had it over 2,000 year ago and was
lost of 100's of years because of the dark ages.

As you know nick, the CoCo 3 can do true hardware scrolling. Marty's
Nightmare and other CoCo 3 games are good examples.

Steve