[Coco] VHD 256 or 255 disks

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Oct 20 20:18:05 EDT 2013

Luis Fernández wrote:
> Excuse my poor translation
> I meant that:
> 255 drive is empty when seen from RSDOS
> And at the same time contains a boot to NitrOS-9, or a mixed
> for so to see the complete partition
> This is done by running DOS 255
>
> of course, we are talking only of. VHD we all know
> Others. VHD would be Different

Luis,

Even that is flexible. You can have your boot disk on any of the 256 drives, at
your convenience. There is no reason why it must be on drive# 255.

The only drive that probably should not be used for the OS-9 boot disk is drive#
0, as that would prevent you from taking advantage of the automatic running of
AUTOEXEC.BAS on drive #0.

To prevent confusion about what is on any of your drives, you should label them
so that DIR lists the subject of the drive. This is explained in my
documentation and is also mentioned in the HDBDOS docs on Cloud-9.
In fact, since you need to use LINK.BAS to indicate which drive is the boot
drive and LINK names the drive as "OS-9 Hard Disk Boot", you will at least know
the contents of that drive by using DIR.

Robert